Clifton Park Once Had Its Own Amusement Park [PHOTOS]
Located in the Rexford area of town on the banks of the Mohawk River, this amusement park operated at the turn of the century for close to thirty years. It became a destination along the trolley line that ran between Schenectady and Clifton Park.
The park first opened around 1906 and was called 'Luna Park'. Over the years, ownership changed hands and the park underwent different names such as 'Rexford Park', 'Dolle's Park', and 'Palisades Park'. Even by today's standards, the attractions would be considered pretty awesome. There was a Ferris wheel, roller coaster, merry-go-round, bumper cars, horse carousel, wave pool, airplane ride, a tilt-a-while type ride, mini train, and a chute ride into a pool.
In addition, there were carnival games, arcades, concession stands and an ice cream parlor. Performers like acrobats and high divers were also part of the festivities. As it was a destination in the area, a hotel called 'The Grandview' was located on the property.
The park operated until the mid 1930's as the Great Depression devastated the finances of many Americans. In 1935 the remaining rides were sold to other amusement parks and the property was razed. It became the grounds for a summer camp for a few years.
Today, the park is now a wooded area, although Clifton Park Town Historian John Scherer says there are still some remnants that can be found. The old concrete footings of the roller coaster are still there and over the years, the current property owners have found some other relics that were left behind.